On Sept. 3, I turned 29.
So why did it feel like 30?
Never has a birthday hit me so hard. And when I say hard, I mean that I spontaneously burst into tears sporadically for a few days surrounding the event.
I really don't know why I was so upset. I'm pretty much exactly where I thought I would be in life at age 29. I don't have any big regrets. I have a handsome hubby, two sweet pups, a new home, a great job, and an overall blessed life.
I felt like a brat, really. Why was this thing - this number - getting to me??
I think this is why:
- It has been 10 years since my 19th birthday, which was my first bday in college. Meaning it's been 10 years since freshman year of college. WHAT??
- I got Penny for my 20th birthday. She is now 9 years old. I freak out about her aging and one day dying (I'm terrified)
- My 21st birthday was 8 years ago. This doesn't even seem possible.
- I graduated college at 22. Which will be 7 years ago in December. Ouch.
- I met Alex at age 23. Which was, for that reason, arguably one of the best years of my life. But it seems like yesterday.
- At 24, I was knee deep in grad school and spent my days writing a thesis. Not that I want to go back to that, but I can't believe that was 5 years ago.
- I moved to SC at 25, away from my family and friends (chasing after love...and it paid off!)
- I got married at age 26. Such a baby :)
- 27 was a blur of first year of married life - which was, truth be told, a good year and a year filled with lessons of all sorts. I had a job change and felt settled in my career.
- At age 28, we sold our first house, bought our second house, had a job change, and moved to another city in a matter of weeks.
- And now I'm 29.
When I lay it all out there like that, it's pretty scary how quickly a decade goes by.
The lesson I take from all of this? Enjoy your twenties, ladies! And I will enjoy the last 338 days (or so) of mine.
(PS - I am feeling much better now that a few weeks have passed since my birthday!)