A late bloomer

Saturday, August 18, 2012

My young hydrangea bloomed beautifully this summer, with big blue blooms starting in early spring. Even though it's still a small bush and only about 2 years old (and has been in the ground at our house for just over a year), it was blessing us with bigger and bigger and bluer and bluer blooms week after week.

Sadly though, it stopped blooming in late June and seemed to be done for the year. By early July, all those pretty flowers had dried up into brown balls of grossness. The plant is right by our front door and it plainly was not a welcoming sight. So I did what I heard you aren't supposed to do and clipped off all the dried up blooms (is that wrong? No clue. Google gave me conflicting answers).

And you know what? My little hydrangea has blessed us again with a few late blooms. Here we are, the summer days waning and fall just a few weeks away, and I have a few bursts of color by the front door. I'm going to enjoy my last blooms of summer food long as I can.

Theme created by SWEET LEMON GREY