My Bestie's having a baby

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

I have lots of friends who have children. I have been to dozens of showers and bought so many baby gifts in the last few years that Buy Buy Baby regularly sends me coupons (or maybe they do that for everyone? Hmm). At this point in my life, it's not uncommon to hear of another friend or family member who is expecting. But it hits home when it's your very best friend.

My best friend Lesley and I have been through a lot. We met in middle school, and surviving middle school together would have been enough to bond us for life. But we also went to high school, college and technically even grad school together (or at least at the same school. She was an education major - I was an advertising major - we didn't have too many classes that overlapped). Together, we've been through first boyfriends and last boyfriends-turned-husbands; going to the prom and graduations; 21st birthdays and bachelorette parties; my parents' divorce and her terrifying cancer scare and surgery. I stood beside her on her wedding day, and she stood by me on mine. Our friendship not only survived but flourished when I moved almost 3 years ago to follow my heart to South Carolina. In short, we've done it all together, or at the very least, been through it all together.

Last year, she and her husband decided it was time for a baby. As scary as it was that my bestie would soon be entering parenthood without me (which is totally, completely fine by me - we are not near the baby-phase of life quite yet), I also agreed with them that it was time for them to become parents. As a kindergarten teacher and a pediatric nurse, what two people could be better-suited to bring a person into this world? But getting pregnant was a struggle for them. At the beginning of this year, I wrote a prayer list for the people that are closest to me of things I wanted to happen in 2012. A baby for Les and Chris was at the top of that list.

I didn't have to wait long for that prayer to be answered. One February day, Les called early on a Saturday. I knew what she was calling to say before I answered the phone. I screamed when she told me and my eyes got a little misty. We laughed and talked about the news, and I said a prayer of gratitude when we hung up. God has it all in His good and perfect plan.

So here we are in August, and she's about 10 weeks away from her due date at the end of October. She's having a baby GIRL! Her little baby bump is the cutest thing I've ever seen. Of course, I don't get to see her much because she is in Florida and I'm in SC. But last weekend, I flew home for a whirlwind 34-hour trip to the Sunshine State to shower the mommy-to-be.

I hosted the shower along with my Mom (it was at her house, my childhood home) and another friend, Miranda. I borrowed the adorable decorations from my friend April's daughter's first birthday party (that she made herself. SO cute.), and friend Megan made the AMAZING cake to fit the theme. Since it was a brunch shower, we had quiche, breakfast casserole, yogurt parfaits, muffins, fruit, and monkey bread (and of course that lovely cake!). It was all delicious and the shower turned out fantastic. Les got tons of great loot to fill the nursery and to prepare for the baby.

While Lesley was opening all those pastel pink gifts, it began to sink in that this was really happening. Not in a bad way - I can't wait to meet that baby girl! - just that we are adults, seriously. It felt like we were grown up when we graduated from college. And when we got married. And when we bought houses. But bringing a new life into this world takes it to a whole new level. My Bestie is having a baby!! I couldn't be happier for her and can. not. wait. to see what an awesome Mama she's going to be.



Theme created by SWEET LEMON GREY