March Challenge: Couch to 5k

Friday, March 1, 2013

With a new month brings a new Challenge for me. I really struggled with what to challenge myself with this month: there are a lot of challenges I want to do this year, but a lot of them don't lend themselves to the month of March because of the weather or all that we have going on this month.

Last month, I challenged myself to track my calories every day and to be active at least 3 times a week. I don't want to lose the momentum I have in both of those areas, so I am going to continue that. But instead of merely being active, I am going to start the Couch to 5k program! (this both excites and terrifies me if I am being honest)

In my list of 28 things to do while I'm 28, I included that I want to run a 5k. I have never run a race before. I participated in a 5k once, but I walked it. I only have 6 months left to run one if I'm going to cross it off my list, so I need to hop to it!

The Couch to 5k program seems to be fairly simple and straightforward. It calls for walking/jogging/running 3 days a week for about 9 weeks, and then you are supposed to be ready to run a 5k. We shall see about that.

There are tons of apps for C25k - has anyone used any of them? Which one should I use? It would be helpful to have an app so that when I run outside, I'll know when to switch from walking to jogging, etc. without having to carry a stop watch and look at it constantly.

And there we have it: March is the month of Couch to 5k kick-off. Now I just need to find a race to register for so it becomes real and I have an actual deadline...

Wish me luck!


2 comments:

  1. I really want to do the couch to 5k, but am having a horrible time holding myself accountable and actually doing it. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. how exciting!! you will do so great, excited to see your journey as becoinga runner!

    ReplyDelete

Theme created by SWEET LEMON GREY