Mother's Day in the mountains

Monday, May 13, 2013

the new swing at the cabin! Appropriate :)
I got to spend Mother's Day weekend with my mom and my Nana, something I wouldn't normally have the opportunity to do. But now that mom has a place in the mountains just 45 minutes from me, I get to see her a lot more, and my grandparents flew in for the weekend (and my step-dad's parents and aunt, too). We had a cabin full of family!

We took them all to the Biltmore Estate on Saturday to see the Festival of Flowers, and those who hadn't ever been toured Biltmore House, too. Other than that, we did a lot of eating, even more talking, and even more wine-drinking. It was a nice weekend to catch up and be with loved ones.

Three generations at the Biltmore Festival of Flowers
The Biltmore Estate's Festival of Flowers
As fun as it was, it made me realize, as it often does when I see my grandparents, how hard it is to watch them age. My Papa has always been of strong and sound mind and body, but both are starting to fail him. Especially his memory. It's tough to watch someone who you've always known as a tough cattle rancher to actually start to seem...old. And my Nana, who's still sharp as a tack, has a hard time getting around and depends on a cane or walker now. Taking her on a short walk around the gardens at the Biltmore was tough.

But watching my Mom handle them is amazing. It makes me realize what an incredibly caring and strong mother - and daughter - she is. It can't be easy to see your parents age and start to struggle. I only hope that one day I will be as patient and caring as she is.

I didn't mean for this to turn into a sad post - sorry! Getting older is a fact of life, I know. But it stinks. It scares me. 

Anyway - I loved, loved, loved being able to tell both my Mom and Nana "Happy Mother's Day!" in person. It's not something I take for granted! I hope all you mommies had a great Mom's Day, and that you all got to tell your Mom how much you love her.

We had four dogs in the cabin (and 8 adults!) Full house.




Theme created by SWEET LEMON GREY