A weekend of Highs and Lows

Monday, October 8, 2012

The title says it all: it was a weekend full of highs and lows! In the end, it was a great weekend, but I am exhausted from all the  stuff that happened! Let me fill you in.

Friday was kinda a crazy day at work, and I was anxious to get up to Saluda to my happy place for the weekend, even though I knew we would be unloading the moving truck and getting my mom and stepdad moved in. We got away from Greenville later than we wanted, but were finally on our way around 6:45. Entering the mountain area, a deer ran out in front of us (a few car lengths ahead), and Alex and I watched as an oncoming car hit it. It was awful. I have been in an accident caused by a deer, so they already freak me out, but to see one get hit and mess up someone's car and all that...it was awful! I cannot get that image out of my head. Needless to say, I burst into tears about the poor deer and those poor people that hit it and cried the rest of the way to the mountain house.

When we got to the house, I was feeling better. We grilled some burgers and relaxed for a little while, then started unloading the truck before calling it a night. We were all exhausted. None of us slept very late the next morning, which was okay because we woke up to this:
What a gorgeous way to wake up! After chowing down on a big breakfast, we got the rest of the truck unloaded. Even though there were boxes everywhere, the U-Haul was empty: success!

It was then time to get ready for the wedding we were going to in Franklin, which is about 2 hours away from Saluda. The crew got all cleaned up, hopped in the car, and got into wedding mode!

The wedding was beautiful - it was outside and the weather was cool and crisp. The leaves were just about at their peak - perfect! 


It was so much fun to spend time with old friends and family. Since it was the wedding of my dad's college buddy's daughter, both of my parents were there, as was my brother and all my "family" - the college buddies and their kids. So much fun! You know it's a good night when you end up wearing your husband's bow tie.

Sunday we got up early-ish and hit the road back to Saluda. We had a lot to do that day (remember, the plan was to go apple picking!) and we had to return the U-Haul truck, as well as continue to unpack. We were almost back to the house after the wedding - like a mile down the mountain road - when Alex suddenly got sick. We're not sure if it was because he had too much fun the night before or the winding mountain roads. Either way, not cool for the poor hubs. I will spare the details, but it was NOT COOL for me either, as I was sitting next to him in the back seat and...let's just say I had to shower immediately upon entering the house.

After we were all, ahem, cleaned up, we were ready to strike out to return the truck and then go apple picking! Just one thing stood in our way: we had to get the massive 26' moving truck turned around in the narrow driveway (on the side of a mountain) and then down the gravel mountain road. After about an hour of directing my stepdad, we finally got it out of the driveway. I am not exaggerating here. At one point, the front tire was lodged in between a small stone wall and a tree and the side bumper was bending, just a few feet from the steep mountainside. We thought we were going to have to chop down the tree to get it out (the tree was spared, however. Still not sure how). I cannot even describe how nail-biting this whole process was. I really thought we were going to have to buy the U-Haul and turn it into a guest cottage because that thing was not coming down the mountain. But in the end, a small miracle was performed and we got it out. Hallelujah.

By this point, it was past lunch time, and we were all starving and totally beat. It was actually my idea to forgo the apple picking festivities, as much as it pained me to suggest it. It was cold and cloudy and we were all so tired...it would have sucked all the fun out of the experience. So here's hoping we can go next weekend! (That's the plan for now. We shall see...)

Alex and I got home last night around 6, and I was ready to hit the hay. I managed to stay up until about 9, which I figured was a respectable time to go to bed.

The weekend really was a blast (minus the deer, the moving truck and the hubby's sickness). All in all, we can look back on the shenanigans and laugh. Except for the deer - can't. get. it. out. of. my. mind!!!

Hope you all had a fantastic weekend!


Theme created by SWEET LEMON GREY