A humbling experience

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Right now I am sitting in the chemo area at the Cancer Center of the Carolinas. I am hooked up to a drip and laying back in a recliner. Thankfully, I'm just here today for my first Venofer treatment (iron infusion) and not because I have cancer. But all around me are people far sicker than me, more sick and weak than I could ever imagine myself.

I found out last week that my hemoglobin has dropped down to a 7, which is apparently wayyyyy too low. Essentially, due to my GI issues, my body is now very low on iron and its not absorbing iron like it should.

I knew I had been feeling tired and was getting winded easily, even just by walking up the stairs in my house. About 10 days ago, I felt extremely tired and weak, so the docs think my hemoglobin was even lower then. I honestly feel better this week than I have in a while, but I gotta do what I gotta do! At least I escaped a blood transfusion like they first suggested (that was freaking me out a little, I have to tell ya!). Instead I will have 4 iron infusions over the next 9 days. Each treatment lasts about 4 hours. Not so good for the work schedule, but I'm blessed with a boss who is understanding and a company that cares about my well being.

So here I sit. I am nearly halfway through today's infusion. I am so happy that all that's going into my veins is iron and Benadryl (in case I have a bad reaction), and not chemotherapy like many around me.

Count your blessings, friends. Say a little thank-you prayer right now for your health and the blessings you have. I sure know I'm thanking The Lord that GI issues are all I'm facing right now.

And yes, that is a picture of my legs tucked under my Gator snuggie. I knew I would find a use for my snuggie one day!


Theme created by SWEET LEMON GREY