A humbling experience

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Right now I am sitting in the chemo area at the Cancer Center of the Carolinas. I am hooked up to a drip and laying back in a recliner. Thankfully, I'm just here today for my first Venofer treatment (iron infusion) and not because I have cancer. But all around me are people far sicker than me, more sick and weak than I could ever imagine myself.

I found out last week that my hemoglobin has dropped down to a 7, which is apparently wayyyyy too low. Essentially, due to my GI issues, my body is now very low on iron and its not absorbing iron like it should.

I knew I had been feeling tired and was getting winded easily, even just by walking up the stairs in my house. About 10 days ago, I felt extremely tired and weak, so the docs think my hemoglobin was even lower then. I honestly feel better this week than I have in a while, but I gotta do what I gotta do! At least I escaped a blood transfusion like they first suggested (that was freaking me out a little, I have to tell ya!). Instead I will have 4 iron infusions over the next 9 days. Each treatment lasts about 4 hours. Not so good for the work schedule, but I'm blessed with a boss who is understanding and a company that cares about my well being.

So here I sit. I am nearly halfway through today's infusion. I am so happy that all that's going into my veins is iron and Benadryl (in case I have a bad reaction), and not chemotherapy like many around me.

Count your blessings, friends. Say a little thank-you prayer right now for your health and the blessings you have. I sure know I'm thanking The Lord that GI issues are all I'm facing right now.

And yes, that is a picture of my legs tucked under my Gator snuggie. I knew I would find a use for my snuggie one day!


4 comments:

  1. Praying for you! My mother has iron issues so I know it can be stressful and literally exhausting. Gator snuggies are by far the best snuggies.

    Sarah J

    ReplyDelete
  2. That has to be a very difficult experience. My mom had to have 4 rounds of Chemo for breast cancer this year, and it was terrifying. I'm glad your boss is understanding of your need for some additional time off!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry to hear that you've been through this, but it's so inspiring that being in a place like that has impacted you in that way. It's such a good reminder to be thankful for our health and seeing others in much worse places always puts things into perspective. Hopeful for you that your treatments are quick and painfree and that you can feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all the kind words, ladies! The treatment was really a piece of cake - worst part was the IV!

    ReplyDelete

Theme created by SWEET LEMON GREY